CONGRATULATIONS on your new itty bitty! I love photographing newborns and want to help you prepare.
I remember feeling so overwhelmed trying to leave the house with a newborn in tow. I’ll never forget the time I forgot to bring an extra outfit in the diaper bag… You know what happens when ‘what could go wrong’ does ‘go wrong’… Yep, I was so embarrassed walking out of church with my sweet, naked baby! Whoops!
Anyhow, I’ve had a lot of moms ask me lately, “What do I bring to the newborn session?” Here are my suggestions on what to pack:
- Bottle or access to momma milk. Even though I recommend scheduling your session close to eating / napping time, baby may need to be topped off during the session… So, have the milk ready. Your session is 2 hours, so make sure you have enough.
- Pacifier. Sometimes babies need to be shushed back to sleep, and this helps.
- Diapers and wipes. I know you probably have that in your bag, but it never hurts to have extra. Boogie wipes are great for clearing out eye or nose boogies too
- Burp cloth. In case we need to top of during the session, we want to make sure we can clean baby after feeding.
- Aquaphor. If baby has dry of flaky skin… this will work wonders for the camera. Trust me.
Okay, great. Diaper bag is stocked. But what about clothes? Well… here is my two cents. Newborn clothes are often super baggie and don’t photograph well, because baby looks like he/she is being swallowed up by the clothes. I’m sure that’s not the look you’re going for. A few “nice to have” things that I’ve seen work well:
- Personalized baby hats or diaper covers.
- Blankets hand made just for baby or passed down in the family for baby to lay on.
- Stuffed animal you plan to take monthly photos with.
If you don’t want to think about the “nice to haves”, don’t you worry. I have plenty of hats, diaper covers, wraps, and headbands to choose from to style baby for his/her first session.
Confession: I LOVE buying newborn props, furs, wraps, clothes, etc. so check with me if there’s something you had in mind to buy, because I may have it already 😉